It's the 8th Annual Black Breastfeeding Week founded by Kimberly Seals Allers, Kiddada Green, and Anayah Sangodele-Ayoka, three women who recognized and took action to increase rates of breastfeeding within the black community.
The CDC cites that just 73.7% of black infants are ever breastfed compared to 86.7% of white infants. This disparity has serious public health consequences for black families, including an impact on the black infant mortality rate which is the highest at 2.3 times the white infant mortality rate.
Why relegate the cause to just one week a year?
Here are six Instagram accounts that celebrate the tenets of #BBW20 every day of the year:
- @blkbfingwk: the official account of Black Breastfeeding Week
- @blackmomsbreastfeed: working to normalize breastfeeding in the black community
- @melanatedmilkies: the instagram account associated with a popular facebook group supporting black breastfeeding moms
- @formamasandminis: a black mamas guide to nurturing bonds with their children
- @mochamamasmilk: promoting breastfeeding among mamas of color
Happy Black Breastfeeding Week 2020!
Momful helps new moms reach their breastfeeding goals. At Momful, we know first-hand how hard breastfeeding can be. New moms often struggle to maintain their supply, and feel uncertain that their little one is getting enough throughout the day— in fact, 60% of women don't breastfeed as long as they intend to. Momful is here to change that. Offering carefully curated vitamins and supplements conveniently delivered to your door, providing nutritional support to optimize your body's breastmilk production.